Thursday, March 19, 2009

Book Review 11, 12 and 13 (on my list)

11. The Hours by Michael Cunningham (book club) - This was a Pulitzer Prize winning novel, but I had a hard time getting into it. It was about the lives of three women, including Virginia Wolfe, at three different times. There were alot of homosexual undertones throughout the novel and the ending was a little shocking. It was made into a movie and Nicole Kidman got an award for her role. I would not recommend this book.

12. Between the Bridge and the River by Craig Ferguson - So most of you probably know Craig Ferguson from his late night talk show. Did you know he wrote a very strange and interesting novel? There were four main characters: dying George, the sex-addicted tele evangelist, the perverted Hollywood mogul Saul and his half-brother Hollywood star Leon (supposedly Frank Sinatra's son). This novel outlines how their lives all cross paths. It was a bit strange at times, but that's what made it interesting. Overall, the book was very entertaining and I would recommend this if you want something out of the ordinary to read.

13. The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus - After the last two books, I needed something light to read, so I picked this book. This chronicles a Nanny and her relationship with her boss and her son that she nannies. It is funny at times and a light read, but I am not impressed with the book. I wonder if the movie is any better than the book?

No comments: