
It's been a long time since I've updated and the biggest news is that Liam was born on September 8 at 1046 am. He weighed 8 lbs 3.9 oz (my smallest baby) and was 21.5 inches long.
The day before he was born I weeded part of our garden and pulled carrots for nearly an hour. Immediately afterwards I felt painful contractions for about an hour, but they stopped. I was awoken at midnight with severe cramping and couldn't go back to sleep. So I took a shower and finally woke up Pete at 130am because I knew Liam was on his way. We called our neighbor to watch the kids until my parents arrived from Lincoln.
When we reached the hospital I was in major pain, but had to wait to until finishing paperwork to get an epidural at 4am. Liam arrived at 1046 am after 11 minutes of pushing.
He had a full head of black, curly hair. His big brother and sister were so excited to meet him and wanted to give him lots of love. At the hospital we were discussing who Liam looked like, so Mileena asked Grandpa if Liam got his wrinkles from him. That was classic!
When he was just a day old, my pediatrician was concerned because he couldn't see Liam's red reflex in his eyes and called an eye specialist. The day we were scheduled to leave the hospital the eye specialist confirmed that Liam had bi-lateral contacts. He also failed his hearing test, so as we were packing to leave, our pediatrician recommended that Liam go to the NICU for further testing.
That was extremely upsetting, but we knew that it would be best. He stayed in NICU for 3 1/2 days and 3 days were spent under a photo lamp for jaundice concerns. He had a ton of testing done, and, fortunately, everything was negative. There is no rhyme or reason why he was born with cataracts. A few months later, he did pass his hearing test. Many times, babies are born with fluid in their ears and fail the hearing test. Over time, when the fluid drains their hearing is fine.
Liam had his lenses removed from his eyes at three weeks old. He will hopefully get permanent lenses in a few years after his eye grows more. He was put under anesthetic and the surgery took a few hours. We were home by that afternoon and Liam recovered well. About a month and a half after the surgery, Liam got his glasses. He is sooo cute!
No comments:
Post a Comment